A large food and beverage company wanted to diversify its portfolio of beverage packaging technologies to populate the five-year development pipeline. We helped them generate and prioritize packaging functions and concepts (e.g., platform technologies) that link to key customer segments in growing markets with defined needs.
RTI Innovation Advisors conducted semi-structured interviews with consumers from target segments (millennials and Gen Xers) in the United States and Canada, extracted and translated needs, and synthesized findings into consumer profiles for the research and development (R&D) team. To help the R&D team understand the world those consumers would be inhabiting in 5 years, we prepared a consumer futures brief and a technology forecast. The brief considered
- the changing nature of retail and consumer behaviors
- emerging connectivity, mobility, and commerce technologies
- the rise of networks and communities
- other trends that will impact the role of packaging
The technology forecast covered emerging and enabling packaging materials, objects, and systems.
We presented our findings in an immersive workshop to help a cross-functional group
- understand their customers
- consider current and potential packaging and enabling technologies that would address stated and unarticulated needs
- prioritize technology development and organizational initiatives to deliver the intended experiences
In collaboration with us, the client's teams generated and prioritized packaging functions and concepts (e.g., platform technologies) that link to key customer segments in growing markets with defined needs. We worked with participants to help them learn tools and techniques for
- synthesizing consumer and technology data streams
- developing personas
- generating functionalities
- evaluating functionality and concept attractiveness